Salsa Garden

Visual Diary of our Salsa Garden...new pictures taken daily! Check back often to see how the garden grows. :)

New pics!

Monday, October 26, 2009

Alaska - Post 1




We got into Anchorage late on a Saturday night and stayed with some friends that are still stationed up there. Sunday we walked and walked and walked around downtown Anchorage. One of the places Chris and I stopped in was a fur store. Not a fur coat store, a fur store. You name it, it was in there. Wolf, polar bear, otter, even kangaroo! The owner of the store, an Asian man in his 60s-70s, let me sit in a chair where Presidents Ford and Reagan sat at one time. (Not at the same time!) Of course, I'll never really know if that's true, but he really seemed to like those two Presidents. So, I sat! I wanted to get my picture taken, but he had a huge sign, "NO CAMERAS ALLOWED" so I didn't want to even ask. Also, he had a pendant for the University of Alabama (blegh!), but not one for Auburn. I told him he had to get one, because at that time we were on a winning streak. Amazingly, he knew all about college football though!

Here's Chris!



Here's a picture of me standing by the sun! Let me explain...
A high school student, a few years ago, decided to make a model of the solar system in the city of Anchorage, called the Anchorage Planet Walk. I am at the start of the solar-system trail. It starts with the sun and ends with pluto, a few miles from here. (This was constructed before we found out that Pluto, is in fact, not a planet.) The time it takes to travel from sun to planet to planet is on a scale of how long it would take for light to travel from sun to planet to planet in the universe. I thought this was pretty neat!

No comments: