Salsa Garden

Visual Diary of our Salsa Garden...new pictures taken daily! Check back often to see how the garden grows. :)

New pics!

Monday, October 20, 2008

Really?!

"Typical white person", as defined by Barack Obama:

..."a typical white person, who, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know, you know, there's a reaction that's been bred in our experiences that don't go away..."


I am a white person. There is no denying it. I do have Cherokee and Spanish ancestors in my lineage, but they go way back. Both of my parents are white. My skin has the luxury of being able to absorb the sun well, so when I'm out in it I am able to get a tan pretty easily. When I was a kid, many many summer days were spent outside and I was actually scared that I was going to turn so dark that I would have to leave my family and go live with another one. This startling fear was just recently unveiled to my family, who got a kick out of it.

But I digress.

I just cannot believe that Barack Obama is in the running for President of the United States of America. I can't. I just love how he has interviews and press conferences and then has to have more interviews and press conferences to explain what he said in the initial interviews and press conferences. Why don't you just SAY WHAT YOU NEED TO SAY the first time? (Kim and Joey, I know you dislike that song with a passion, but it served its purpose here. :)

Why.....would someone running for the Oval Office.....say anything like "Typical White Person" or "Typical Black Person" or "Typical Mercedes Driver" or "Typical Hip-Hop Mogul"?? First of all, I don't like to think of myself as typical, but to me, Obama was speaking of all white people when he made the above statement. On that note, it sounds like white people are scared of non-white people, or can't tolerate them, or will go out of their way to get away from them. Speaking as a TWP, that's just not the case for me. I go out of my way to avoid ALL people at ANY costs. I'm joking there, but I just don't understand his statement. Apparently, he says he was referring to his grandmother's generation. Oh really?

Here are a couple of links that have the story:


http://www.usnews.com/blogs/news-desk/2008/03/21/obama-typical-white-person-comment-delights-clinton-aides.html

No comments: