Salsa Garden

Visual Diary of our Salsa Garden...new pictures taken daily! Check back often to see how the garden grows. :)

New pics!

Friday, September 19, 2008

30 Days of Blog

I came across a site today and was inspired to take on the challenge. Here goes Day 1 in all its blogginess glory.

There are plenty of things to Blog about. Normally there is so much that when I sit down to blog my mind goes blank. So to help me stay on track, I've come up with a theme about which to write. We'll see how far this actually takes me, but since I know me the best it shouldn't be too daunting. A little haunting, maybe...... (42 days 'til Halloween---whatdya expect?) I'll write about my favorite things (until I get bored of course.) Wait--are you crying already? Bored to tears.....?....

And here we go---

Day 1: Favorite Song

"Daughters" by John Mayer

I was listening to it today and thought it would be a good way to kick off the 30-in-30. This is by far, without a doubt, my all-time favorite song. When someone asks me why this is my favorite song, this is what I like to say:

It's written by someone who is not/has never been a father/dad/parent. I don't know him personally, but from what I've read about him and seen, there are no offspring reports or sightings. And even without being a parent, he just "gets it." There are a lot of people who are parents that just don't "get it."

I recently celebrated my grandmother's 86th birthday with other members of my family. My cousin and her husband had their baby at the dinner and every body was giving their opinions and suggestions on what to do when Baby C cried. When is it okay to let her cry? When is it okay to pick her up so she stops crying? Does she have the mental ability, at 4 months, to con you into picking her? Being the only one at the table who had never raised any babies I had to get my opinion out there. My grandmother just mumbled under her breath something to the tone of "I heard that."

That story had nothing to do with the song; I just wanted to tell it.

I'm not a parent (just the looker-after of 2 dogs) so I can't tell you what "it" is, but I do know if you're a parent that you should "get it." The number of people who "get it" far outweigh those who don't, or at least I hope that's the case, but anyway....in case you haven't heard easy-listening radio anytime in the past 5 years, here are the lyrics for you:


I know a girl
She puts the color inside of my world
She's just like a maze
Where all of the walls all continually change
And I've done all I can
To stand on her steps with my heart in my hands
Now I'm starting to see
Maybe it's got nothing to do with me
Fathers be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters too
Oh, you see that skin?
It's the same she's been standing in
Since the day she saw him walking away
Now she's left
Cleaning up the mess he made
Fathers be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters too
Boys, you can break
You'll find out how much they can take
Boys will be strong
And boys soldier on
But boys would be gone without warmth from
A woman's good, good heart
On behalf of every man
Looking out for every girl
You are the god and the weight of her world
So fathers be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters, too
So mothers be good to your daughters, too
So mothers be good to your daughters, too
:)

No comments: