Salsa Garden

Visual Diary of our Salsa Garden...new pictures taken daily! Check back often to see how the garden grows. :)

New pics!

Monday, March 8, 2010

Project Curtain Call: Day 1




I'm starting a new project this week: curtains for the windows. Our house faces south and gets tons of light from sun-up to sun-down. This is great for the later days of winter, because the house gets heated and we can save on the gas and electric bills. The rooms that get heated are the den, eating nook, and master bedroom. On 65-degree days, the house can warm up to 74-76 degrees in the house. Jump ahead to the good ol' summertime and things really heat up! We have blinds and some curtains, but we wanted more to keep the unwanted heat out.

We hit the fabric store a couple of Saturdays ago while they were having a great sale. Remember, the whole point of this project is practical and cost-cutting. We got blackout material and curtain material. The blackout was already on sale, so we had them cut that into 2-yd sections for us. However, the fabric for curtains was on sale with a coupon, and the coupon only allows for one (1) cut of fabric. This is where I'm starting today, dividing the one (1) cut of fabric in to 2-yd sections. We have 9 windows that need coverings and today is Day 1 of PCC.

45 minutes into the project (aaahhh!! English 101 flashback! Should I have spelled "45" since I'm starting the sentence with a number??) I have run into a slight problem. Not a bad one, but I have 14.5 inches of EXTRA fabric. I immediately think the fabric lady cut too much fabric (she seemed new and didn't really know a whole lot any time I asked her a question), but it could very easily be my measuring that's off.

Part of the project plan is to include pictures as I go along, and I took some before starting, but have not uploaded them yet as my batteries have died. I wil post them later today.

Time for a quick snack and back to measuring, cutting, and enjoying the lovely day!

1 comment:

SGN said...

Ooooo! Fun! I'm loving it already! Looking forward to following along as you take on this project! Good luck!! :O)

word verification: debeters... just thought it was a funny word. Happy Monday!