Salsa Garden

Visual Diary of our Salsa Garden...new pictures taken daily! Check back often to see how the garden grows. :)

New pics!

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Flat Iron Steak

The vice-presidential debates are happening in about 20 minutes, so I won't be very long tonight.  I don't normally keep up with the debates, but when I discovered The Office wasn't coming on tonight, and when my mom told me that the debates were going on, I figured I'd at least tune in.  I did tune in last week, for a little bit, but it's just hard for me to get interested.  To me, the candidates say what they believe in and what they intend on doing and maybe a little of what the public wants to here.  They talk about how they are going to do "this" and how they are going to change "that" and how everything is in the drain.  Give me a candidate who will take one area, focus on that, and stop saying how the person before them has no clue about what's going on.  Wake up, people!  A country isn't run by the President alone!

Ok, onto my subject for tonight.

Have you ever had a flat iron steak?  If not, you should check them out the next time you're going to fire up the grill.  I'm not sure if I had one at some point before last week, but last week is the first time I remember having one.  The first time I cooked them, I let them go too long.  Portions were tough and really overdone.  The good thing, is there was a second pack in the fridge.  I did a little bit of research before cooking them and boy was I glad I did!  

From what I read, most people who cook these don't do anything special to them.  They don't marinate them or put special seasonings on, or many seasonings for that matter.  The steaks get cooked for 5-10 minutes on each side and that's really all there is to it.  So, I tried that with the second go 'round.  I didn't marinate them, which is a must when I'm doing the cooking.  Instead, I put salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder, and then through them on the heat.  They were so good that I didn't even need any kind of sauce.  In fact, when I did throw the good ol' A1 on it, the steak was overpowered.  I'm a saucy person so it was difficult to not dip it and dunk it, but it really did not need any extra sauce.  I'm guessing it would probably be good even if you didn't have seasonings.  

Check it out sometime!   

Off to *watch* the debates!

-T


No comments: