Salsa Garden

Visual Diary of our Salsa Garden...new pictures taken daily! Check back often to see how the garden grows. :)

New pics!

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Top 5 American Idol - April 28, 2009

I think I'm getting later and later with these notes. Sorry! :) Also, if you saw the show there really is no need for a recap, but here we go. Also, if you live under a rock don't watch the show, you might not know that last week 2 contestants were sent home, Lil and Anoop, hence the jump from Top7 to Top 5. Just wanted to throw that in there before getting started.

This week's theme was Rat Pack Standards. I was excited when I found out, b/c I absolutely love that music. To me it's relaxing and classy and intriguing and fun and safe. Safe as in it's easy to feel protected when you listen to it. Needless to say, when I heard internet chatter such as "What's the Rat Pack? Is that a band?" or "Those were songs I listened to when I was growing up. This show needs to get with the times!" or "Who is Dean Martin?" I was absolutely blown away. This music is timeless and doesn't need to be "lost." So what did the contestants find? Here we go:

Kris Just the Way You Look Tonight - I'm not a very good sport at this. My initial reaction is to criticize everything this kid does. Like: He and Ryan were twins tonight. He should have shaved. What has he done so wrong that he feels the need to dedicate every song to his wife? But then again, we all know that I think like this b/c he is a threat to the person I'm pulling for. Being one of my favorite songs ever, it wasn't bad. And I liked how he worked the mic and stand. (Until it looked like he was carrying luggage around.) Ok, ok... I have to say he's definitely got a shot at being Top 3. Why do people refer to him as the dark horse? No clue. 

Allison Someone to Watch Over Me - Gotta say I loved her hair. She's definitely got the rocker look going on, but she looked a little more sophisticated with the dark tones. I liked the song, too, and would like to see her advance, if only for the sake of being the last woman standing. What bothers me though, is how she responded to Simon's question. Instead of going on and on about her vocals, he quite simply asked her if she thought she can win the competition. The look on her face said it all: "No, I don't think I can win." The crowd came to her rescue by cheering her on and then instead of answering she gave the PC answer of, "I think we've all got a chance." Sweetheart--you don't all have a chance. It's called American Idol. Only one can win the crown. One more thing. If you're feeling a little sorry for her b/c she is the only gal left, or b/c of her age, or b/c she consistently gets criticized (but not as much as Lil), read this short bio. Allison Iraheta-Mahalo

Matt My Funny Valentine - This is a hard song to sing. Just like "Happy Birthday" is hard to sing. It's slow. For me, it's not something that I really hope is playing when I turn on the radio. Matt, to me, is definitely not the dark horse but the underdog. He doesn't possess the confidence that he needs to make it to the top 3. It's almost becoming painful to watch week after week.

Danny Come Rain or Come Shine - Danny is back! I guess he never really went away, but this is the guy I remember from the auditions. That's all I really have to say.

Adam Feeling Good - Fact: He can do no wrong on this show in my eyes. :p This is also what I know: The contestants pick the song they're going to sing on Thursdays. This is what I wonder: Do they keep it secret from each other until rehearsals, or do they discuss with each other what is going down? If I was in the competition and knew what Adam was going to be singing, I would definitely want to stay true to myself, but I'd also want to give him a run for his money. There were so many things right with this performance: the white suit, the stairs, the swagger on the stairs, the look of "I've just been toying with you up until now America, and I'm ready to win this thing so I'm upping my game another level. If you didn't love me before now, you're gonna love me now!", that note, those eyes! Also, I'm sending Kara a dictionary. She thought this performance was sleazy. Sleazy? Come on Kara. We know you're not good with numbers (Studio 57) and that you mix up tv shows with movies, but give me a break. Sleazy? Go write another song. 

:)

The results show will also be particularly interesting tonight, as either Adam, Danny, or Kris will find themselves in the bottom. It's not that they need to go home, it's just that there are 5 contestants so someone that has never been in the B3 will end up there. At this stage in the game, voting is so important and I really hope if you're a voter that you support your favorite. It's vital! Remember this for next week (if you're fav is still in!)

What I found when looking through my spreadsheet. :)

Of the Top 5, 
Adam and Kris are the only ones that have not gone first. (prior to this week's performance)
Starting with the Top 13, 4 of the 7 people who did lead the show were sent to the Bottom 3. (weeks 2, 3, 4, 7)
Danny and Allison went first during Birth Year Week and Movie Week, respectively, and neither landed in the B3.
Matt went first (Motown Week) and landed in the B3. 

Bottom 3
2 weeks ago I was 3 for 3.
Last week I was 2 for 3.

This week I am again doing 2 separate B3s- Who I want to be in the bottom, Who actually is in the bottom. Let me say before going forward, I don't have anything against the people in the lists. Somebody has to go home. They were missing something or weren't at the same level as the others, or their name was Kris. haha :) 

Who I want to be in the B3: 
Danny (only because I would love to see Allison stay clear tonight!)
Kris
Matt


Who IS in the B3:
Allison
Kris
Matt


If you look at how many times someone has been in the B3, then it's Allison's time to go. However, I thought it was Matt's time to go when he was saved. This is hard. And I put Kris in the actual B3 not to be mean but b/c Adam and Danny really owned the stage tonight and brought so much excitement and emotion.

Tough call, but I'm sending Matt home this week. 

Check out the performances here!

Disclaimer: I use a scientific method to come up with these predictions. I cannot divulge by what means I come by them.

No comments: