Salsa Garden

Visual Diary of our Salsa Garden...new pictures taken daily! Check back often to see how the garden grows. :)

New pics!

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Re-do

I was reading over my blog from a couple of days ago and realized, first off, that I must have been in a tailspin because some of the wording didn't make the most sense, or words were missing here and there.  And then I thought that maybe, just maybe I'd revisit my thoughts and make sure I was clear on what I had to stay and what I still stick to.

The whole Obama/Ayers debacle...it's not that Obama met with the guy or didn't meet with the guy.  But if I hear "I was only 8 years old," or "This is just some guy who lived in my neighborhood," ONE MORE TIME.....agh!  It's just frustrating to me how Mr. Barack pushes relationships aside every time they are seen in a negative view by the public.  

For me, the point here is not that Obama was only 8 years old when Ayers was involved in whatever it was he was involved in.   

I'm not sure the exact age, but I'm gonna go with 8.  When I was that age I really really loved The Beatles.  I had a couple of tapes with their earlier hits and would sing sing sing.  I was a child of the 80s, but between the tapes and the tv shows I was addicted to, I was pretty well-versed in their music.  I heard a country-station morning DJ make a joke, something involving the Fab Four, drugs (illegal), and a yellow submarine.  'How dare they make a stab at these musical geniuses!' I thought.  'They did NOT use drugs!'  Fast-forward a few years later and can you believe it?  Straight from the horse's mouth (Sir Paul):  they did in fact use drugs.  He's not even sure that they would have been able to make all the wonderful music they made had they not been under the influence at times.  He thinks it allowed them to tap into unused portions of their brain and mind.  Although it is an interesting perspective, it is not one I share nor recommend nor tolerate.   But having said that, at 8 years old I didn't know what was going on, or what went on in a different era.  Heck, sometimes I still don't know what is going on!  :)  It doesn't make it right for me to play dumb or act as if it never happened.  This is an extreme example, but hopefully it works!
 
The point for me is that when asked and confronted, Obama denounces that there is any relationship at all.  I'm assuming they weren't having dinner together every night, but at some point, Ayers' past must have come up, either from Ayers himself or from someone in the circle.  What do people do when they get together?  They talk.  And things come up.  A lot of times, more than you want to hear about or need to hear about.  But I don't buy it when Obama says he knew nothing about Ayers.  I just don't.  If you know the guy, you know him.  If you believe what he believes, fine.  Just be upfront about it.  Don't try to hide it.   

I still like The Beatles, btw.  



-T

No comments: