Salsa Garden

Visual Diary of our Salsa Garden...new pictures taken daily! Check back often to see how the garden grows. :)

New pics!

Thursday, July 31, 2008

July 29, 2008

I hope everybody is doing well. And I hope everybody is researching the candidates for the upcoming elections. Maybe I'm not supposed to send this because I'm having technical difficulties with getting it out. Trying now for the 3rd time......

I remember sitting in my desk in 5th grade having a discussion with a friend regarding who we thought should become the next elected President. We had had mock elections in school around the time of the real election, to give us a feel for how the process took place. The conversation went something like this:

Student 1: That was so kewl getting to vote today!
Student 2: I know! How exciting! Student 1: So who did you vote for?
(we made sure not to tell who we were voting for before the election, as your vote is supposed to be known only to you, or so we were told)
Student 2: I can tell you who I didn't vote for: Clinton!
Student 1: I would never vote for that man. I don't like him. Plus my parents said he's going to be involved in a scandal not too far from now. (Or something along those lines.)
Student 2: The only reason I'd be happy if he won is because my grandmother is pulling for him.
Student 1: Well, I still don't want him to become President.

My friend was Student 1, I was Student 2, and the rest is history. I'm typing this out because I am not sitting at a table discussing the issue with you. If there was a table, we could discuss it.

As a youngster unable to participate in the voting process I didn't like Bill Clinton. A few years later, being able to participate in the voting process I couldn't stand John Kerry. The way he points at you without actually pointing at you is very annoying and belittling to me. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, make the "thumbs up" sign and then lay your thumb horizontally on your finger. Now point at a wall or mirror with that fist. Criss Angel (A&E, Wed Nights at 10/9CST) actually does the same thing, but I'm so intrigued with him and his black nail polish that it really doesn't matter. Now, 8 years after I was first able to vote, I don't like Barack Obama. I just have a few problems with him that I can't shake. When I first heard of Sen. Obama, I actually thought, "Hey-this could be a good thing. I've got a few reservations about it, but it might be okay to step out on a limb on this one." Now the more that I see of him, the less I want to see of him. With all the scandals that have been brought his way over these past months, it seems he backs down from them and doesn't stand up for his beliefs or values. I have a problem with that. (And I'm not saying I'm perfect here!) He talks about change and quite frankly, I don't know how much change we actually need. If someone could just get the gas prices to go down please........ Also, a little on the dismal side, but people are comparing him to MLK, Jr. and JFK. Last time I checked things didn't end up so well for them. Is this country ready for a black President? I'm not sure. Is this country ready for a woman President? I'm not sure. Maybe this country is ready for a black woman President???

I don't understand the war in Iraq, or Afghanistan, or Central America. Terrorism (evil) is something that has been around forever and it's still hard to tackle. But, it is currently a staple of our everyday lives. None of us know how the '08 election is going to turnout, or what sort of changes we're going to see. And no, I won't wake up in the morning wondering why in the world did I send that email?

WWMS!

No comments: